Zina: Vince. We’re both busy, so I’m not going to beat around the bush. I need a 1) raise.
吉娜: 文斯。大家都很忙,我就不拐彎抹角了。我要加薪。
Vince: I can’t do that, Zina. You know I can’t.
文斯: 辦不到,吉娜。你知道我無能為力的。
Zina: 2) Bull. I’re done my 3) research. I know you still 4) control more than 65 percent of InfoKing 5) options.
吉娜: 胡扯。我做了研究。我知道你仍掌握了“資訊王”百分之六十五以上的股權。
Vince: Who told you that?
文斯: 誰跟你說的?
Zina: That doesn’t matter. I want 6) at least 4 percent.
吉娜: 那不重要。我少說要百分之四。
語言詳解
A: I have done extensive research on the French Revolution.
我對法國大革命做過廣泛的研究。
B: Then you must have been to Paris.
那你一定去過巴黎。
【beat around the bush拐彎抹角】
beat around the bush原意是指獵人在打獵時,先在草叢附近拍打,以讓鳥類獵物受驚而現出蹤跡,引申出藉由迂回的方式,不針對問題回答,猶如中文裏的“拐彎抹角”:
A: Stop beating around the bush, and tell me what you want.
別拐彎抹角,告訴我你要什麼。
B: I want a divorce.
我要離婚。
A: What did Tom want to tell you?
湯姆那時想要跟你說什麼?
B: I’m not sure. He kept beating around the bush.
我不確定。他一直在拐彎抹角。
1)raise (n.) 加薪
2) bull 原意是“公牛”,這裏是用作 bullshit 委婉說法。
3) research (n.) 研究
4) control (v.) 控制
5) option (n.) 選擇,此指“股票選擇權”
6) at least 至少,起碼