Dave: Hey, Zina. You shouldn’t act so tough with Vince. 1) What if he’s your rhumba boy?
戴夫: 嘿,吉娜。你不該故意對文斯那麼凶巴巴的。萬一他就是你那倫巴男孩呢?
Zina: Please. He’s only nice to me because I’m making him a ton of money.
吉娜: 拜託喔。他對我好只是因為我在幫他賺大錢。
Dave: He was definitely happy. You must be making a lot of sales.
戴夫: 他真是高興得很。你一定做成了很多買賣。
Zina: It isn’t hard. All the 2) online businesses need a way to 3) keep track of the 4) traffic to their 5) sites.
吉娜: 這不難。所有的線上商務都需要設法掌握他們網站的流量。
Dave: That’s InfoKing. Tracks every visitor. Or at least it will, if we can get it to work.
戴夫: 這就是資訊王。掌握每一位訪客。或者至少以後會是這樣,若我們能讓做出來的東西管用。
語言詳解
A: I can’t get online.
我連不上線。
B: There must be too many other people using the Internet.
一定是有太多人上網了。
【act tough with… 故作強硬】
tough 這個字,指的是“強悍的”,若要說“對……很強悍、強硬”就是be tough with…,對話中用了act這個字,act tough with聽來的感覺傾向於“故意裝得很強硬”。
A: I’m so angry. I could hit you in the face.
我好生氣。我真想揍你的臉。
B: Don’t you act so tough with me. I know you couldn’t hurt a fly.
你別跟我故作強硬。我知道你連只蒼蠅都捨不得殺。
【get it to work 讓它運作】
get…to work這個句型,若是用在事物身上,是指“讓……能夠運作”,可能是指草創的新東西,或是某個窒礙難行的制度,也可以單純指東西壞了:
A: My car broke down again.
我的車又壞了。
B: I bet I can get it to work. Where is it?
我打賭能讓它上路。車子在哪里?
1) what if… 萬一,要是……
2) online (a.) 連上電腦網路的,線上的
3) keep track of… 隨時掌握……
4) traffic (n.) 此指“網站的流量”
5) site (n.)“網站”,即website