【大紀元8月11日訊】
李華和Larry正在討論他們剛才看的電影。今天李華會學到兩個常用語:shrink和gross out。
LH: Larry,剛才電影裡的男主角說他需要看一個shrink是甚麼意思呀?Shrink當動詞用的時候是指縮水,但是在這裡好像不是這個意思。他到底在說甚麼啊?
LL: Shrink is a somewhat negative slang term for a psychiatrist. If you tell someone that he needs to see a shrink, it means that you think he’s crazy.
LH: Shrink是指心理醫生啊!你要是說要去看心理醫生,別人就會覺得你這個人腦袋有問題,精神不正常。
LL: Yeah, but shrink isn’t usually a nice way to refer to psychiatrists.
LH: 噢,shrink是指心理醫生,但是是帶貶意的。為甚麼呢?
LL: Well, for instance, if my dad were a psychiatrist, I wouldn’t describe him to other people as a shrink.
LH: 你爸爸要是個心理醫生,你就不會說他是個shrink,為甚麼?你爸爸是個很糟糕的醫生?
LL: No, it’s because shrink is just not a very respectful word.
LH: 我懂了,所以shrink就是對心理醫生不尊重的稱呼。對了,Larry,你看過心理醫生嗎?
LL: Are you trying to imply that I’m crazy, Li Hua?
LH: 沒有啦,我當然知道你腦子沒有問題。不過,在美國好像很多人都去看心理醫生耶!
LL: It is more acceptable nowadays, but a lot of people are still very uncomfortable about the idea of seeing a shrink.
LH: 是呀,好像這是很普遍的事。原來在美國還是有很多人覺得不能接受,他們覺得去看心理醫生的都是有些問題,腦筋不太正常的人吧!
LL: No, shrinks help people who are depressed or are having family problems. Actually, most of the people who see a shrink probably aren’t what we would call crazy.
LH: 是啊,現代人生活這麼緊張,很多人都得了憂鬱症,這時候心理醫生就能幫上很大的忙。對了,Larry,你認不認識甚麼心理醫生啊?
LL: Actually, my Dad’s best friend is a shrink. He works with children that have social disorders.
LH: 真的啊?你爸爸的好朋友就是一個心理醫生?而且專門治療小朋友不合群的問題?Larry,你小的時候有沒有甚麼問題,去看過這醫生嗎?
LL: Very funny, Li Hua.
LH: 我是跟你開玩笑的啦!
*****
LL: Hey, Li Hua, were you grossed out by the murder scene in that movie?
LH: 你說電影裡那段謀殺的情節怎麼樣?甚麼是gross out?
LL: Grossed out means disgusted. So, did that scene gross you out?
LH: Gross out就是讓人感到噁心,你這麼一說我就想起來,那段劇情真是夠可怕的,有好多血噢!我是真的覺得gross out!
LL: Yeah, me too. Usually scenes like that don’t bother me too much because I know they’re fake, but that one was particularly nasty. I was really grossed out.
LH: 我啊,一看到血就受不了了。前幾天,我不小心摔傷了膝蓋,看到血流出來,我差點兒沒昏倒 – I almost grossed out.
LL: I guess that it’s a good thing you decided not to be a surgeon. Otherwise, you’ll be grossed out all the time.
LH: 是呀,我媽媽一心想要我當醫生,可是我這種一看到血就噁心的人,怎麼能進醫學院嘛!
LL: Yeah, in medical school, you have to study dead bodies.
LH: Larry,你別再說了,你越說我越害怕,也越覺得噁心了。別再說了啦!
LL: Wow, I guess you do get grossed out easily.
今天李華學到兩個常用語。第一個是shrink,這是指心理醫生,但是是一種非常不禮貌的稱呼,所以大家在應用時要小心。另一個常用語是gross out,就是讓人噁心的意思。
轉自《美國之音》(//www.dajiyuan.com)