Listen to Lesson Eleven 收听第十一課
Download Lesson Eleven 下載第十一課
Contact Us 聯系我們:yingyu@voanews.com
Michael和李華今天在華盛頓的國家建筑博物館參加一個建筑會 議。今天,請大家注意他們對話里用的兩個常用語:kick back和one track mind 。
L: 期中考試完了有這么一個周末真不錯,盡管我們得參加這次大會, 我也覺得挺不錯。
M: I’m glad we made it to DC. It’s a good time to just kick back and relax.
L: 我也很高興能到華盛頓來,正好可以休息一下。不過,你剛才說 kick back是什么意思呀? 肯定不是要踢什么東西吧?
M: No, I don’t! I just mean to relax with my friend, you.
L: 噢,跟朋友一起玩, 也就是說跟我玩。你是說,kick back 就是把 腿蹺起來,痛痛快快地休息,是這個意思嗎?
M: Yes. Last weekend we were in New York and kicked back with your friends, remember?
L: 對,上個周末我們是去紐約跟我的朋友一起玩了。不過,我以前 也听人說過kick back,但那是指貪污受賄。
M: Yeah, it can be used that way as well. When one person pays someone else in return for a job or a contract.
L: 這么說,kick back可以解釋為休息,也可以解釋為給某人一些錢, 以換取一個工作職位或其他好處。這兩個意思完全不同。
M: When you mean corruption, kickback is one word. When it means to relax, kick back is two words.
L: 在指賄賂的時候,kickback是一個字,在指休息,輕松的時候, kick back 是兩個字,就差這么一點點。對,我那天在 報上看到一 個公司總裁把合同給了一個給他回扣的承包商。
M: Yeah, that company executive got a kickback. Well, enough about kickback. Do you want to go to any of the panels this afternoon?
L: 你問我下午要不要去參加 小組討論? 去那個討論東方建筑特色的小 組吧! 盡管我很想到咖啡館去休息休息。
M: Ok, maybe once we are done with the panel we can go out and do something fun.
L: 好主意, 小組討論會結束后我們可以出去玩。
(小組討論會以后)
L: 好了,Michael,會開完了。我們得計划一下今天上哪儿去。不過, 我先得喝杯咖啡。
M: Ok, ok. Geez, you have such a one track mind sometimes. Do you know what a one track mind is?
L: 我不知道,但是我知道你在取笑我。
M: No, I’m not making fun of you. One track mind means you are only thinking about one thing all the time. Today all you have been thinking about is coffee. You should remember this phrase, it’s commonly used.
L: 噢,one track mind還是常用的說法,所以我得記住。你認識我的 朋友王光吧? 她成天工作,從來不想別的事。你能說她是one track mind 嗎?
M: Yeah, you can say that. It’s amazing how much she works, never does much of anything else.
L: 對,她就是這樣,工作狂。你們男人也都是one track mind。腦子 里總是想著女孩子。
M: Yeah, there’s one particular girl I think about.
L: 你老想一個女孩子? 誰呀?
M: Here’s your coffee shop, two coffees please!
Michael和李華今天在對話中用了kick back。當kickback作為一 個詞的時候,意思是貪污受賄;當kick back用作kick和back兩個字的 時候,意思是休息,和某人一起玩。他們在對話中還用了one track mind,意思是腦子里光想一件事。 這次[流行美語]就學習到這里,我們下次再見。
──原載《VOA》(//www.dajiyuan.com)